14/04/2010

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Which is why I've stopped posting on most forums... People just don't seem to be able to do anything cool these days. Maybe it's just that people on forums are mostly massive losers!

Anyway, what kicked me over the edge was someone thought recording an instrumental cover of a blink-182 song and putting on youTube was a good thing. I'm all for people learning songs, and recording them if they want - it's all good practice. They can even play the songs to some people to see what they think. But when the description is a big apology for not being very good and badly recorded then you've got to wonder why they posted the damn thing in the first place! If you think it's crap, why would anyone else like it?

it's the same reason I don't follow people (on tumblr or twitter) that post too much, or post lame-ass shit about their personal lives, I even filter my facebook friends so I can cut out all those 'friends' I haven't spoken to since primary school. It's not that I don't like them, but their lives are irrelevant and uninteresting to me, just as I expect mine is too them. It's nice to know they're there if I ever need to get in touch, but I don't need to know what they had for diner.

Remember that there is a home for everything, especially on the net, as far as I'm concerned my tumblr is fairly impersonal, it's for random shit I think is cool or interesting. My blog (which is imported to facebook) is for wordy stuff and my thoughts - like this. Twitter is personal, but non-specific and is pretty much just what I'm doing or planning, and Facebook is for me to contact my friends. I'm a lazy texter, so I'm all about facebook!

Went a bit off-topic there... If you're filling up the internet with stuff that isn't awesome, then you're just adding to the endless sea of shit that is the majority of user created content. Speaking of shit user created content - people who make youtube videos about youtube videos, please just fuck off! Your stupid effects and bad jokes are just annoying, if I want to see a funny video I know where to look, if I want to watch someone pull out all the humour from a funny video, I'll watch your lame show. It's not hard to make a youtube video, but that doesn't mean that you should!

If only the 'net had a shittness filter.

No comments: