10/03/2011

Bayonetta

I finished Bayonetta tonight, and it's a perfect example of what annoys me so much about so many games.

The gameplay is fantastic, really great fun, and the first levels really got me hooked. It was easy and intuitive to get a handle on, so kicking my way through angels just rocked. And the new bad guys they added worked as well, although it got kind of annoying when you'd be introduced to a new guy, then 2 minutes later you'd be fighting him again, then again in another two. It just ruined the specialness of those characters.

What really brought the game down in my eyes was two main things:

Firstly a truly horrific plot, one that I could not follow in the slightest, and really just messed you around. Add to this the LOTR length cut scenes near the end, I was sorely tempted just to skip them, after all I didn't care what was being said any more. A game plot should keep you hooked into the story, but this one just kicked you out part way through, which pissed me off

Secondly, the simply stupid bosses that appeared in the last half of the game. Instead of challenging by way of actual skill, they made it challenge by luck of the draw. After getting my ass handed to me over and over again by one boss, I mashed away at the buttons and barely took a scratch. The semi-final boss fight is a bit of a piss take as well, almost impossible to hurt him without taking damage before or after. And as for the one hit kills button mashing in the actual final boss, that should just be removed - it doesn't add anything to the game other than a lame way to make that fight last longer.

Oh and as for all the super fast quick time events, they can fuck off too, it's not a challenge to hit a button at the right time, so why include so many? The player just has to re-do the section and hit the button. The amount of times I had to do that because I'd put the controller down for the cut-scene.

Great gameplay seriously let down by shitty bosses and a shittier plot.

No comments: