18/01/2009

GENERIC!

Just been sat on myspace listening to bands for the last half an hour. I could not tell you anything about any of the bands. From all around the country, there are bands that are trying to write the same song.

I must admit they're shit load better than the horrible electro crap that is being flagged as 'scene' (God fucking damn I hate shitty electro!) but they're still all shit.

Most of them had two lead vocalists, but no talent so they just took it in turns (idiots) and nothing more original than that. But the thing with all these bands is that they are touring the UK, all part of this magical UK scene that allows bland as fuck bands to travel round the country banging underage girls and spending daddys money on beer every night.

I realise that's a total presumption that won't be true most of the time, but the point is that these days, it's not song writing that is making these bands, but who they know and how nice their hair is. I know I'm a bit late jumping on the band wagon here (and hypocritical complaining about their hair :P ) These kinds of bands are what is known as the 'sea of crap' that people wade through searching for real talent.

I guess my biggest fear is that my bands are considered part of the sea by others. I like to think that if we don't stand out now, then we will soon. It'd be nice to be part of something that really helps music develop, rather than another sheep following what has already been. I don't know where music is going at the moment, and I don't suppose that many people do. But every now and again you hear something that is truely new and inspirational. The Outline, played very basic stuff, simple riffs, simple structures, but had a really impressive way of writing songs. I liked it. Enter Shikari (whether love them or not) did they're bit as well, the first commercial sucessful combination of dance and hardcore. Not including Refused, who did it first and better than anyone, but they wern't comercial so there. ES certainly inspired lots of talentless kids to buy micro-korgs.

Anyway, this eventually gets me to my conclusion, in order to prevent the recreation of the same music all the time a new new way of making the music has to be made.

EDIT: the rest of this post has been reposted as IDEA!

No comments: