03/02/2010

addicted to the internet

Are you?

Apparently 1.2% of the UK population is dangerously addicted to the internet, with withdrawal symptons and everything!

I'm not quite sure what I make of this, it just seems a bit retarded really, an awful lot of our lives is now lived out online but to be addicted is just a bit crazy. I remember when I was younger the long boring evenings I would spend alone nearly every night of the week - unless I'd organised something my friends which would be once or twice a week maybe - I would sit and watch crap tv and play computer games on my own. Then I got msn messenger and myspace, and I would watch crap tv, play computer games and chat online with my friends. I certainly felt less lonely to be comunicating.

So, when it comes to these days, with thousands of ways of comunicating with your friends online do we feel any better? I don't think we do, unless I'm talking to someone new, or having a really good conversation then the daily formalities are all rather pointless. I'd certainly much rather be in the pub with someone real. There's nothing quite like the company of good friends, and no facebook, no tumblr, not even the best game in the world can change this, they can meerly distract you until the next time you can be with those you love.

I guess all we can do is just try to enjoy the time we have, and do something productive with it. If you're sitting there waiting for something to happen, go and make something happen!

No comments: