09/02/2010

Girls who model...

I think this is gunna cause some controvesy - I don't mean it too, and I don't mean any offence - so please don't take any.

I have nothing against models, or modelling of any sort. Putting hot girls in clothes sure works, putting hot girls playing games works, putting hot girls near anything will help it sell. Putting hot girls anywhere will make people want to look at it!

But, I know a lot of girls who want to be models (some are doing pretty damn well, some are doing good, some who look gorgeous, some who look good)and it seems to me there's rather an overwhelming amount of them at the moment - meaning competition is harder so:

1) It's not that you're not pretty, it's that she's prettier.

Unless you're really arrogant you know there are going to be people who are better looking than you, and these people may well get the job. So don't get upset because you're too XXX for the job.

Also, remember who you are. Not everyone is the same style - I'm sure most of the girls I know want to model for Drop Dead or Babycakes or Johnny Cupcakes, but there's not a lot of spaces within those jobs. So, if you've got tattoos and piercings you're narrowing your own market so:

2) being alternative makes you stand out - not always a good thing

People need relate to the people selling them shit, so unless you're lucky enough to be selling alt gear, the alt look won't help much. Your style is something you can change, but one thing you can't is you. Plain and simple, if high and mighty is looking for models then someone like me (shortish and skinny) is just not gunna work! It may not be so obvious as that, but you could be stunning and not get it because your face is wrong so:

3) being you is enough for them to say no - it's not personal

Finally, the people that choose models probably look at thousands of people a week, going for a job seems a total lottery to me!

Still, if you're willing to get yourself an awesome portfolio of shots and go for every job that comes up you could well end up doing it and good on you.

I know I know fuck all about the modelling/fashion world, but that's my impression. I don't want you to think I'm some knob, I'm just putting my view out there, and all I see is girls upset by rejection letters (and a couple getting work!) and it makes me wonder.

I couldn't do it myself, I wouldn't like the rejection, and I'd hate to live in the hands of the casting people. I like to do things for myself, not be chosen!

well, it's possible that's all shite - I'm sure you'll tell me if it is :)

No comments: